Wednesday, June 11, 2008

An Awesome visit.

So...yesterday, I was just going along in my normal day. Cleaning, chatting with my kiddos, we even took a break, headed downtown Farmland to visit our favorite place, the library, go to the post office and down to Tanglevine to pick out new webkins for Dora and Tobi. Anyways, it was going along just like so many other days. Not anything super exciting but then we got visitors. I have had a lot of different teens over the past few years who have hung out at my house in the early morning hours waiting for the school bus to show up. I love having them here and you will be amazed at how chatty teens can be at 7am in the morning. Well, my visitor yesterday was a guy who hung out here for about half of a school year while his family lived in the trailer park next to me. He showed up with his girlfriend just to say hi. Now, you would think that after about 10 minutes he would have been long enough for him to be bored just chatting with me, but no. I would say he was probably here for almost 2 hours. I loved listening to him and his girlfriend talk about different things. Hearing what their plans are after school...or even this coming year at school. It was really funny after his girlfriend got a call from her mother saying she had to come home. This very quiet girl, who had not said a whole lot because she really did not know me, suddenly became very chatty as she talked about how inconsistent her mother was and things like that. I listened and encouraged her, that yes, mothers can be that way...making a teens life hard. It is always kind of weird for me to hear a teens talk about their moms, because I kind of wonder how my kiddos will or do talk about me. But, I still love to hear and I can point out that while yes, sometimes parents react a little weird, sometimes they are doing it for the right reasons. It was just a wonderful visit. After they left, I had to hurry up to make my new favorite snack for small group which meant I was a little late, but it was worth it!

1 comment:

Keym said...

wow, you are just an all around cool person! I think it is great that you can build these relationships with kids.