Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ready to sew!

I finally finished Dwayne's coat for our re-enacting. I hope to get a picture of it on him, but because it is made of wool and it is so hot outside, he really doesn't want to have it on. Today I begin his pants. I am not a great sewer and I am even worse I trying to follow pattern instructions and unfortunately, these instructions are not real good, because they are a rough draft that I picked up for free last year at Mississinewa 1812. Lucky for me I took pictures of the pants they had on display last year, so with those pictures and the pattern pieces I have, I am hoping to be able to basically put the pants together. I will post a picture of them when I am done, if I am brave enough. Dwayne is building us an awesome rope bed, so that we will not be using cots this year, which means we should be more period correct inside our tent. This will mean if we want to, we can leave our tent flaps open for people to look into our tent.

Well...off to sew...tons to do, Brighton will need a coat, Sari and I need capes, Dwayne wants a new waistcoat (vest), Sari wants a new dress, and I would like to make Dora a dress as a Birthday surprise.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cari!

Where,what and when do you re-enact? I'm a history geek and just curious.

Shelby-Grace said...

I say you're pretty good at sewing! That coat looks really good! Hope you all have fun in your new clothes this fall!

Mommy pfohl said...

WOW! Girl, you amaze me!!!! -Mindy

Cari said...

Milah,

We just started doing re-enacting last year. We did a day trip to Kokomo, IN for KohKohMah. Here is a link for it http://www.kohkohmah.com/
It is about the French and Indian war. Then we went and stayed the whole weekend at Mississinewa 1812 in Marion, IN. Here is a link for it http://www.mississinewa1812.com/
This one is about the War of 1812. Mississinewa is really big and lots of fun. We are hoping t stay at Kohkohmah for the whole weekend sometime. Our whole family loves re-enacting. We have really good friends who are into it, so that helped us get into it.

Unknown said...

NOw that's very interesting. You won't believe this but in a few days I plan to blog a little story about the War of 1812. It's a little family story of my own that has been in my head for a while and I thought I'd post about.

I will check out those websites. Thanks for sharing.