Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Light Reading


My wonderful husband bought this book I have been wanting. I really wanted to read through this before I started redoing all the girl's clothes. I had a pretty good idea that I was not too far off on the guy's clothes, but I had a feeling I was not doing some things right with the girl's clothes. Well, it came in the mail yesterday, it is a short book and I had it all read last night. I was right, I have some serious redoing to do on the girl's clothes. That beautiful, fun crocheted lace on Dora's chemise...yeah, that is not period correct. Any floral material that I have bought is probably not period correct, and really linen should be used more often than cotton. I need to make my chemises over, which I already knew from some research that I have already done. Now, I really need to do some research on the Regency era, we can use clothes from that era at 1812, but not at Kohkohmah. Kohkohmah is more of the 1750s and obviously War of 1812 is in the 1800s...lol. Amazing how 50 years can make a huge difference in clothing. I am not too worried about this, because we will only be spending 1 day at Kohkohmah and the whole weekend at 1812, but when I get involved in something, I want to do it right. I have just started cutting out Brighton's coat, I had enough wool left over from Dwayne's coat to make Brighton a coat and possibly a cape for either Sari or myself. I will still need to buy a little more wool and it is hard to find right now. I will post some pictures of Brighton's coat as soon as I get it finished, I need to find some material to use as his lining and then I can start sewing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You sound like me....I'm all about the details. If it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right.

Good luck on your quest to find the right fabrics and patterns. I'm anxious to see how it all turns out.

Marcella said...

Hey girl! Here I am getting all caught up on your life via your blog. I think that you should make and sell the closthes that people need for the reenactments. You do a wonderful job!