Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Sewing....

I have been sewing tons for over a week now trying to get some clothing done for an event that my family will be attending on Sunday. Now, I am not bad at sewing, but I am not the greatest at clothing. No matter how many times I read a patterns instructions, it just always seems like a foreign language to me. I was talking about this with my hubby the other day, I told him that I take all the pieces, look at the instructions, and then still do it however I think it should go, which sometimes means a lot of ripping out stitches and resewing. He told me that he is the same way with his wood projects...he just tries to figure it out on his own. Funny how we are so alike in that area. I sometimes really dislike this about myself, because I would much rather be able to follow the instructions there in front of me, after all, they have been tested and my project would come out right the first time.

Reminds me so much of the bible. There are God's instructions for me, not that life would always come out right the first time if I followed them, but it certainly would come out better than if I don't follow them. But, sometimes when I am reading the bible, it is like reading a foreign language as well....nothing makes sense. And then, one day....it just hits me and I finally get at least a small part. Just like after messing up the first article of clothing, when I go to do the second one...it comes out much better. I guess the important thing for me to remember is to keep reading, rereading and reading again....it will make sense.

Right now everyone should be praying for my children. The poor things have been fending for themselves for dinner and having to do their daily chores without mommy's help. But I think in the end the reason they are not complaining is because they are so excited about their new reenactment clothing that they will get to wear this Sunday. I will have to post pictures of everyone in their new outfits when I get them done.

2 comments:

This is Me... said...

Great post Carrie. Although I don't sew at all (ask my kids), the analogy to the Bible is right on...I had one of those "get it moments" you mentioned when I read your post. Kind of like God is saying "I told you so"...if we'd only follow his guidance the first time around...
I'm looking forward to your reading your blog. I find I don't relate to alot of them, but I think I will with yours.

Mommy pfohl said...

Great comparrison!