Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Absorbed...

A friend made a comment to me that it had been a long time since I have blogged, and man...they were right! I can't believe it has been a month since my last post. Only a month since our fun weekend at our re-enactment event. It has been a long month. My mother went into the hospital on Nov. 22nd and has been in the Intensive Care Unit since she was admitted. Nothing much has changed with that and I have been spending most of my free time at the hospital.



Another little distraction in my daily life has been a new book series. Now, I have told many people that I try hard not to read. Because when I pick up a book, I rarely concentrate on anything else in my life. My daughter has been very excited about this new Twlight series and was greatly looking forward to the movie that came out on Nov. 22nd. So, since she was enjoying it so much, I thought I would give it a try, it was just 4 books, a mere 600 to 700 pages per book, which is not much for me. Thanks to Kim Harris, I started the first 2 books and was done with them in 3 days, just waiting to get my hands on the third book. My hubby and daughter went to see the movie the day it came out and picked up the 3rd book for me while they were out. It gave me something to do at the hospital, Sari already had the 4th book, so by the following Monday, I had finished the entire series. A very good series indeed. I find it amazing how well the author describes first love feelings. It starts off as a very teenage romantic novel, with a twist...the guy the girl falls for just happens to be a vampire. Not only is he a vampire, he just happens to be a vampire with morals, wow! The thing I really like about this book, is it shows girls that a true man, someone who is thinking about the girl he loves and not just his own wants, a true man can and will want to wait to have sex until after they are married. Talk about holding guys to a higher standard and teaching girls that a guy should want to be held to a higher standard. Of course he also plans to turn her into a vampire after they are married, but hey...it is a fantasy book, what do you expect. I really liked this story because my wonderful daughter tries very hard to read books that don't describe sex. You would not believe how many books she has started to read, then showed them to me, I have read a few lines and had to tell her that she could not finish them. Sometimes I can just get her past the bad parts, but it is so frustrating when it comes to today's books. I know there are lots of movies out there that show more than they should, and she has probably seen too many of those, but there is just something that triggers more in a girl's mind when she reads about these things. In this book, even when the couple do get married...the author stills does NOT go into detail...YEA! I know everyone is different about what they let their kids do, and I am sure that there are lots of people who would disagree with my take on the vampire romance novel, but for me...I am thankful for a better standard for guys (even if they are not vampires...lol.) And thankful for a different outlook for girls...maybe they should not always think guys are out for just one thing from them and that it is possible to find a guy who would want more than just the physical from them. Anyways, this is just briefly my take on the novels.

I promise to post more when I know more about my mother, I appreciate everyone's prayers for her.

4 comments:

Kris Sorensen said...

The church staff have been praying for your mom.

Nathan said...

So glad you're back! Praying for your mother!

Keym said...

Wooohooo you loved Twilight! I love the series so much that I don't even feel that I need to defend it. I think that if people choose to ignore it then they are the ones missing out. Vampire smampire... I think that adds just that much more to it. I agree that the author did a fantastic job of holding guys to a higher standard.

Jimmy "Handi" Warner said...

Cari,

I had no clue that your mother was in the hospital until I just red your blog.

I am so sorry to hear that, have they found out what the problem was or why she's in there?

Please give me some Details, I may come down to the hospital in the next few days to visit for a few minutes as I've got to run some errands in muncie, I'm assuming this is where she is at right?

Your Cousin
JJ