Friday, August 31, 2007

Silly arguments...

It seems so silly to argue with younger kids. I try to remind myself that they are just kids and that really there is no sense in continuing the argument, but there is just something about the fact that they think they are so right.
It was the day I spent with my 3rd child when she was about 6 years old arguing over whether the stuff in the road was dead bird bones or just old leaves and a stick. Now I knew, absolutely knew it was just a stick and old leaf, but my daughter was convinced that it was a dead bird's bones. Really, did it matter who won? My husband laughed at me for continuing the argument, but I could not help myself. There was something in the way she rolled her eyes at me that made me think if I did not convince her today that I was right, that I would be forever wrong in her eyes. Ultimately, the argument was just dropped. I would not give in, she would not give in. There was no way to win.
And then, it is at these moments that I realize God wonders why we keep arguing with Him. I mean, we offer up some pretty silly arguments and we are so sure we are right, I am sure we even roll our eyes at Him. I know I am so glad to have a God that embraces me, arguments and all. Next time around, maybe, I will just hug that little arguing child tight and say I love you, instead of trying to prove who is right...

1 comment:

Mommy pfohl said...

You know, that really is a profound thought, because like my daughter, I argue with God about who's right and who's wrong... Good thing he loves me enough to just love me inspight of myself.